Nursing homes What’s in a name?

“Skilled nursing facility”.  I saw these words the other day on a sign at a local nursing home.  I said to myself, “I sure hope the nurses are skilled.”  Since I was all alone, then I said to myself, “Who are you talking to?” 

Let me say right at the start, that this facility and others in town are great. I am glad they exist, and I know those who work there are very dedicated to what they do and to the care their patients.  (And they are have patience)

Anyway—I found it interesting that they would have to say skilled since I think most or all nurses are trained and skilled.   In doing some research in the internet, I found that “skilled nursing facility” is the new term for nursing homes as they used to be called.  Before that, I think they were labeled as old folk’s homes or rest home—yikes!

 Other alternative ways of referring to these facilities are assisted living and eldercare.

 I guess I will just have to be more observant and watch for the new politically correct way of referring to these places.

Here is the statutory definition of skilled nursing facility for your inquiring mind.

 What do you call them?


Comments are closed.